Any celebration and festivity is incomplete without the glorious presence of flowers. And this is true all over the world. Whether you’re in a very hip city in New Jersey or reside in a small town of Thailand, it can be said with confidence that flowers are a part of your life. The emergence of online flower shops have made the process of selecting and buying flowers, even more, easier than taking a stroll through a flower-filled park!
Yet, when it comes to choosing the best and the most suitable flowers for a particular occasion, a lot of us will feel clueless. Flowers are not merely lifeless decorations, but they have unique and important meanings and symbolisms attached to them. Without knowing them, you cannot make impactful use out of flowers.
Besides, the color, type, shape, and size of a bouquet or flower arrangement are also important factors, aside from the user’s personal preferences. Keeping all these things in mind might get overwhelming at times, especially if you don’t plan them in advance.
This is why here we’ve described a few conventional rules and traditions regarding choosing flowers based on different occasions.
Table of Contents
Strategy to Choose Flowers for All Occasions
- The occasion matters a lot. Your choice of flower shows what you want to convey.
- Make a decision between some individual pair of flowers or a bouquet.
- Make sure that the receiver is an admirer of flowers. If yes, you should keep their personality in mind.
Pick the Right Flowers for Every Occasion
It is quite right to say that only the heart can choose the best flower for someone. If you have a reason or a special occasion, your emotions are shown by the flowers you select. Snapblooms provide online flower delivery according to every individual taste for the best occasions.
1. Flowers For Valentines Day
Isn’t Valentine’s day such a wonderful day to celebrate? All things painted red- on the streets, restaurants- hearts around everywhere. Gifting flowers on V-Day has become a tradition. It expresses one’s affection and love towards the other person. Roses are the first choice on this day.
What do different colors of roses express?
- Red rose: passion
- White rose: chaste love
- Yellow rose: friendship
- Pink rose: admiration
- Coral rose: desire
- Primrose: new beginnings, new love
Even though roses are the most common choice, there are other types of flowers that you can choose to fill your partner’s heart with love, such as red blossoms (Erica and Renate).
Learn More About Rose Color Meaning Guide
2. Flowers For Wedding
This is an occasion that requires a lot of planning. Flowers need to compliment the theme, style, and decor of the wedding venue. Brides and grooms are pretty picky, and they should be. Regardless of the size or location, bouquets and unique flower arrangements are essential. If you are about to get married, you must know the pressure of running everything smoothly.
The choice for the wedding day can be seasonal, suiting different themes and colors. Many couples choose to show their emotions and feelings for each other by the flower settings. Wedding planners usually take care of the choices after consulting the pair for the wedding gift flowers.
Some beautiful flowers and what it represents:
- Peonies: happy marriage, prosperity, good fortune
- Calla lilies: elegant, regal
- Hydrangeas: heartfelt emotion, perseverance
- Amaryllis: determination, love
- Gardenias: joy
Read More: Types of Flowers for Wedding
3. Flowers For Birthday
This is a day that falls once a year and gives a personal touch of emotions. Birthdays see a variety of gifts. Your guests bring you different gifts, but the flowers usually shine the effect of celebrations and happiness with their beauty. A floral bouquet shows to be a very thoughtful gift. You can always pick out the birthday person’s favorite flower or choose yourself accordingly from Snapblooms.
Few ideal birthday flowers:
- Geraniums: true friendship, comfort
- Pink carnations: gratitude
- Forget-me-nots: to remember the gifter forever
- Jasmine: elegance, grace
- Red chrysanthemums: I love you, sharing
Learn More about Birth Month Flowers
4. Flowers For Christmas And Winter Holidays
The Winter holidays are the best time of the year. Families and friends come along and enjoy it together. There are lots of gifts and flowers. Poinsettias and Amaryllis are the most popular among all the flowers that are sold worldwide.
Some flowers to pick during the holiday season:
- Holly: everlasting life
- Narcissus: renewal, rebirth
- Red poinsettia: Star of Bethlehem, the blood of Christ
- Christmas roses: a gift for Christ
- Winter jasmine: purity, modesty, a gift from God
5. Flowers For Funeral And Sympathy
Some occasions require sympathy and the presence of family around you. Sending floral arrangements to the family of the deceased for use in the funeral arrangements. Such flower arrangements are presented and set up in different ways. It could be in the form of funeral baskets, standing sprays, or in shapes like hearts, crosses, and wreaths.
Flowers that are suitable for funeral and sympathy :
- Orchids: Eternal love, Sympathy
- Pink carnations: Remembrance
- Lilies: Restored innocence to the departed soul of the deceased
- Red roses: Courage, Love, Respect
- Chrysanthemums: Honoring the life
- Gladioli: Sincerity, The strength of the character, Moral integrity
- Red carnations: admiration
- Crimson roses: sorrow, grief
- White roses: reverence
Read More: Choose the right funeral sympathy flower
6. Flowers For Mother’s Day
This day marks a great sale in the floral industry. Florists see a hike in demand for bouquets this day. Mother’s day is meant to celebrate the love and care of the mother who looks after her family. The kids love to return the love by showing how their mom has helped them through their lives.
Some flowers for mothers day with their symbolism:
- Daylilies: mother
- Yellow tulips: the smile with a ray of sunshine
- Gerbera daisies: cheerfulness
- Dwarf sunflowers: adoration
- Red tulips: declaration of love
- Lily of the valley: pure love, sweetness
- White lilacs: the innocence of childhood, the joy of youth
7. Flowers for New Born
Choosing flowers for New Borns, or rather the new parents are a lot of fun. Color plays an important role here. When you’re welcoming a new child, you want the atmosphere to be pretty and soothing. That’s why it’s best to avoid too flashy colors. Rather, pastel shades of white, blue, pink, or yellow are suitable. You can also choose the color according to the gender of the baby, i.e. blue for boys, and pink for girls. A mixed flower bouquet for twins, or a full-white bouquet irrespective of gender will also be good choices.
Popular flowers for a new born baby:
- Best white flowers for New Born are: Daisy, Chrysanthemum, Hydrangea
- Best pink flowers for baby girl are: lily, carnation, gerbera
- Best blue flowers for baby boy are: hydrangea, rose
- Other great choices of flowers for this occasion are: Sunflower, Lily
8. Flowers for Engagement
Engagements and weddings call for an enormous amount of flowers to be included in various aspects of the ceremony. Romantic and delicate flowers are the best choices for engagement.
- If you are planning for your own engagement and looking for flowers to decorate the venue, or include them in your celebrations: tropical and exotic flowers, orchids, roses, sunflowers, and gerberas will be the best choices for this purpose.
- If you are wishing your partner with a bouquet of flowers for your engagement: red and pink flowers will be suitable. Red roses, pink roses, tulips, chrysanthemums, and orchids are some of the flowers to choose from.
- If you are congratulating others for their engagements with flowers: white roses are the best option. Other white flowers to include in a bouquet will be daisy, Asiatic lily, or carnation.
9. Get Well Soon Flowers
Wishing Get Well Soon to someone going through a troubled time surely calls for some fresh and vibrant flowers. Sending flower bouquets to lift their spirits in the hospitals will surely brighten up the mundane environment of the hospital. However, before you choose any flowers, make sure that the person is not allergic to them. Also, choosing flowers that require minimal care and maintenance, and that stay fresh for a long time makes sense. You never know how long they are going to be cooped up there, and you surely can’t expect them to take care of them meanwhile.
What flowers for get well soon?
Get flowers that stay fresh for the longest of time. Best get well soon flowers are Sunflowers, orchids, chrysanthemums, lilies, and hydrangeas.
10. Thank You Flowers
Flowers have been used as a means of communication since the beginning of time. And just like all other emotions, the feelings of gratitude too are best expressed with flowers. Sending a beautiful bouquet of colorful and vibrant flowers with a heartfelt note expressing your gratefulness towards the person will not only show your gratitude but also make the receiver extremely happy and feel valued.
Flowers that mean Thank You:
The best Thank You flower is considered to be orange roses. Apart from that, you can also use yellow, white, deep pink, or blue flowers to express the feeling of thanks.
Choices for thank you flower bouquets are Calla lilies, hydrangeas, forget-me-nots, camellias, dahlias, and tulips.
11. Prom Flowers
Prom night is one of the most significant milestones of your life. Just like you plan for your dress, shoes, and makeup for a long time in advance before this special night, choosing the flowers that you pick for your corsages or boutonnieres also needs attention. Since you’re going to be wearing them for a significant amount of time, it is best to avoid delicate flowers and choose sturdy ones.
What flowers to get for prom?
For boutonnieres, however, roses are the best option. For corsages, you can go with different colors of roses, orchids, lilies, or gerberas.
So, this is how you choose flowers for different occasions. If you’re intending to send a message with your floral gift, make sure that the flower meanings match with your emotions. That’s all it is about.
There are some awesome Snapblooms flower choices to help you choose your occasion-specific flower. We also have a Flower Delivery website in NC!