Lilies are one of the most loved flowers all over the world. Each color and variety of lilies add a certain meaning and elegance to the garden. There are many different types of lilies, and they come in a wide range of colors, including white, yellow, orange, pink, red, and purple. Lilies are relatively easy to care for, and they make an excellent addition to any garden. If you’re thinking about planting lilies in your garden, here are some tips on how to care for them:
When To Plant Lilies?
Autumn is the best season to plant lilies, as the lilies planted in autumn will have well-established roots in the spring. Therefore, choose a day at least three weeks before the winter begins. The areas with harsh winters should choose spring as the planting period for lilies.
Get Free Lilies Delivery
Surprise your loved ones with a striking bouquet of lilies. With SnapBlooms, you can choose from a wide selection of fresh lilies in pink, white, and red, all perfect for any occasion.
Always buy the bulbs close to planting time. Otherwise, they will deteriorate and will not be fit for planting.
How To Plant Lilies?
More than the planting time, how you plant the lilies is quite important. Here are some pointers that you need to follow while planting.
- The depth of planting should be three times the size of the bulb.
- The space between the bulbs should be three times the size of the bulb.
- Always plant them in a group of 3-5.
- Water the plants thoroughly.
- It’s important to plant them at the correct depth. The general rule of thumb is to plant them so that the tips of the bulbs are just poking above the soil surface. If you plant them too deeply, they may not flower.
- If you are planting lilies in pots, make sure the pots have drainage holes.
Caring Tips For Lilies
- During early growth, water the lilies freely, especially if you live in an area with less rainfall.
- The lilies should be kept in moist mulch to keep the lilies cool.
- Go with high-potassium fertilizers. Use them every two weeks for healthy growth.
- Do not forget a quite thin layer of compost for essential nutrients with every layer of mulch.
- You can remove the faded flowers from the plant, as lilies only bloom once a year.
- Once the lilies bloom, you can choose to remove the stem, but make sure you do not remove the leaves, as they provide nourishment to the flowers.
- Always cut the late stalks during the end of fall or the beginning of the spring season.
- Make sure you remove the lily shoots as they start growing through the mulch.
- Make sure the lilies are free from any type of pest and disease.
- Gray mold can be a huge problem during moist weather; keep an eye on it.
- If you live in an area with a lot of deer, you may need to take special precautions to protect your lilies. Deer love to eat lilies, so you may need to put up a fence or spray the plants with deer repellent.
- Once your lilies start to bloom, remove the spent flowers. This will encourage the plant to produce more flowers. You can also deadhead lilies to prolong the blooming season.
If you are not much into planting, you can buy fresh lilies flowers online with SnapBlooms. They provide their customers with online flower delivery on the same day to avoid delays during the gifting. In addition, the Oak Ridge flower delivery will help you send flowers to your loved ones living in Oak Ridge, that too on the same day.