The snapdragon flower belongs to the genus Antirrhinum and is part of the plant family Plantaginaceae. Snapdragon derives its name from the unique shape of its flowers, which resemble the mouth of a dragon. Snapdragon plants have several symbolic meanings that make them a meaningful addition to flower bouquets and arrangements.
Snapdragon Flower Origin
Snapdragon flowers are native to Asia and Southern Europe but are now grown widely around the world as garden plants. The name snapdragon comes from the Middle English word “snappe” meaning to snap or take a bite of something and “dragon” refers to the flowers’ shape and motion. When the flower is squeezed, the lips of the bloom close together like a dragon biting shut its jaws.
Snapdragon Flower Meaning
Flower arrangements with snapdragons carry a variety of meanings, including gracious lady, deception, strength, and courage. The name snapdragon refers to the Greek myths about dragons. Snapdragon blooms represent the power and strength of the dragons they resemble.
Because of their vibrant colors and playful nature, Snapdragons symbolize grace, strength, and positive energy. They also represent deception and aggression as a reference to the mythical dragons they are named after.
Snapdragon flowers come in a wide variety of colors, each with its own symbolic meaning.
- Purple snapdragons represent royal graces, wisdom, and luxury.
- Yellow snapdragons symbolize good wishes, joy, and happiness.
- White snapdragons stand for graciousness, sympathy, and purity of spirit.
- Pink snapdragons signify gentleness, sweetness, and gracefulness.
- Blue snapdragons convey gratitude, loyalty, and intuition.
- Orange snapdragons represent desire, fascination, and enthusiasm.
- Red snapdragons signify strength and courage.
Snapdragon Flower Symbolism
Across the European flower language, snapdragon symbolizes deception, strength, and gracious lady. In Victorian flower meanings, the snapdragon symbolizes deception and strength of character.
As fiery flowers, snapdragons also symbolize strength, courage, and the vigor of youth. Their liveliness earns them a place in flower bouquets for those who need a boost of positive energy.
Snapdragon Flower Care
If you receive snapdragon flower arrangements or want to grow your own, here are some tips for care and maintenance:
- Provide full sun and well-drained soil.
- Water weekly to keep the soil moist but not soggy.
- Pinch or cut back stems to encourage bushier growth.
- Deadhead spent flowers to encourage additional blooms.
- Bring indoors before the first frost and place in a warm spot with indirect light.
Snapdragon Flower Facts
Some interesting facts about snapdragons:
- Snapdragon flowers’ botanical name, Antirrhinum, means “like a snout.”
- Snapdragon plants bloom from early summer to early fall.
- Snapdragon flowers are perfectly suited for flower arrangements due to their interesting shape and long vase life.
- Snapdragon plants are biennials and generally live for two years. They remain in a vegetative state the first year before forming flower buds the second.
SnapBlooms makes it easy to buy and send flowers online.
If you want to send online flower delivery of snapdragons to convey your unique meaning, choosing colors based on their symbolic meaning can make your arrangement even more thoughtful and impactful. The versatile snapdragon flower has something for every occasion- order from SnapBlooms today!